Travel blogger community is like a big family – support to each other is invaluable, have a question, need a tip – just ask and it shall be answered… So to show your support and introduce bloggers to other bloggers The Liebster Award was created. It comes with a few rules too – it is passed from blogger to blogger and if you are nominated and choose to accept it, all you need to do is post the award on your blog, answer the nominating blogger’s interview questions, and nominate 11 other bloggers to answer your 11 questions. Sounds simple enough and the best part of it you get to meet few more like minded people here on web.
So we would like to Thank Nixtie for nominating us and here are the answers to your questions.
1. What means “To Travel” for you?
The meaning “To Travel” has changed so much since our first trip. From being a tourist, who checks of the sites in our list to actually immersing ourselves in other culture and looking behind the exterior, to being pushed out of our own comfort zones and exploring our own individualities.
Sum it up: “To Travel” means to grow confidence and self-belief, to widen our narrow minded view of the world, while exploring this beautiful world and getting to know its people.
2. If you could choose one city in the world to live in which one would you choose?
Both of us would prefer to live in country side or in outskirts of a remote village, but it would have to be somewhere warm and sunny. And we are still searching for this little paradise… 🙂
3. What was your most embarrassing moment during travels?
Ouch it’s a hard one nothing really jumps out. I can remember stuff, where I have been embarrassed for of other “tourists” behaving badly. Will have to think about this.
Andris most embarrassing moment was when he got pulled out of the crowd to perform belly dancing for a random girl and singing competition in our first big trip ever – to Egypt. Well he wasn’t and still isn’t good in neither of them. 🙂 It was a big struggle for him especially when the other guy weirdly was so great at belly dancing.
4. What was the weirdest/funniest tradition or ritual you have ever done?
Let the people touch my hair for luck. Apparently my blonde hair is a lucky charm for the inhabitants of Northern Thailand.
5. How do you finance your trips?
Both of us are working full time and saving money where we can for the trips.
6. What was the best food you ever tried abroad and where was it?
Morocco and the delicious chicken and el karmouss el hindi (prickly pears) cous cous tagine. We were on a shared private tour called “Little Sahara” and as part of it our lunch was in local home based restaurant somewhere in the middle of nowhere. It was the first time we tried cous cous and it is on our menu back home since.
7. Which country would you recommend others to visit and not miss out on?
Morocco – I know, when you mention Morocco everybody thinks Marrakesh/ scams and ooh, no thank you follows. But Morocco has far more to offer then just one city. We met so many lovely and welcoming people in Agadir and Essaouira, and the cuisine is to die for. Morocco is the only country so far we would like to visit again.
8. What is your biggest fear and how do you try to cope with it?
Oh, not to miss the flight, loose wallet with credit cards and cash, and passport is definitely the biggest fear while on the road.
I am trying to be organized with planning time for transport connections allowing an hour or two extra just in case anything goes south.
As for money – storing it in different places and always have a fall back plan – online account: you can easily access for money, prepaid credit cards etc. and go to persons phone number in emergency just in case all your belongings suddenly find themselves at the bottom of the sea.. 🙂
Passport: I take photo copies of all the visas/passport with me and store both separate. I also email myself copies of the above and leave one copy home with a trusted friend. It will be a lot easier to get a new travel document if you have something to go on, then just your word. 🙂
9. Which countries are on your list for 2016?
For the first half of 2016 are Mexico and Latvia. We haven’t thought farther than that, usually we pick our destinations at the spur of the moment.
10. How does a day in your life look like when you are not on the road or traveling?
Working, saving money for the next trip also dreaming and planning our next adventure.
11. What is the best advice you can give future travellers?
Pick up all the courage you have and book that ticket to your dream destination straight away, you will never regret it I promise. And if you have any reservations, don’t listen to them, they will seem so silly once your plane starts to descent.
So now for the blogs we are nominating!
Our nominations are….
And the 11 questions for the lovely people behind these blogs are:
- Who or what inspired you to travel?
- What is the one thing you cannot live without while traveling?
- What is your favourite place in the world?
- Do you prefer travel solo or with a group and why?
- What has been the cheapest trip you have ever taken?
- What resources do you usually use while planning/ preparing for the trip?
- What is your favourite gadget for taking pictures?
- If you were stuck on a desert island and could only have 3 items what would they be?
- What is the one place anyone should visit in your home country?
- What are your top three bucket list destinations still to be checked off?
- What is the best advice you can give to new travel bloggers?
So that’s it for this post! We are now off to inform all of my lovely nominees!
Thanks again to Nixtie for nominating us!
P.s. We would like to read your answers, so don’t forget to put your link in the comments section below. We are looking forward to your exciting answers.
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog in your Liebster Award post.
2. Copy and paste the Liebster Award badge into your post.
3. Answer the 11 questions you were given when you were nominated.
4. Come up with 11 questions you would like to ask of your nominees.
5. Nominate 11 newbie bloggers/ blogs, by commenting on one of their blog posts or social media with a link to your Liebster Award post, and a short message about nominating them.